Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Thursday July 31 to Sunday Aug 3


I have spent the last few days walking, caching, people watching and.....bike riding!

Thursday found me walking through the farm lands and into a small town looking for caches and enjoying countryside and in the evening another walk into town to see how the preparations for Sneek Week are coming.






Friday I set out at about 10am and started walking in a big circle south of Sneek letting the gps and the caches led me....I kept track this time it was about 12km. The canals are filling up with lots of sail boats....coming in for the competitions.

There's a cache up there...

plus a view







Canals are for boats and swimming and in winter skating!



Sneek Netherland is known for largest international inland water sailing regetta And Sneek week is a combination of the regatta, music and a midway with the usual games, food and rides. Friday night was the official opening and at Watersport (the famous bridge....I understand that the picture of this bridge the joker on every deck of cards from the Netherlands).


I got there about 7:30, according to my translations it started at 8 at Watersport and the water in front of it and it involved fireworks ( I love fireworks!) My problem was that I didn't take anything to sit on. I arrived early enough to get a good place at the front but then stood until I got back “home” at 11:30. There was music, speeches in Dutch, an amazing little water show......two people with lights on and I don't know they did it but they were floating!!!! then came the parade....a parade of the different classes of boats that are in the competitions. About every 10th boat there was a boat full of musicians. Then finally at about 11:00 there was the fireworks!!!

 
Crowds gathering


Bands playing

Darkness coming

How did he get up there!?!

Boat Parade

The Freilands are very patriotic

Fireworks!



Saturday I lazed around recovering from the walk and all the standing.....reading and watching BBC that was giving great coverage of the Commonwealth Games.


Sunday I decided to climb back on the bike and went off exploring a new area....a manor house, Epemaste, with once manicured gardens now used as walking paths, built 1652.....again a geocache took me here.... I am getting more confident on the bike and with the Dutch traffic rules for motorists, pedestrians and bikes.












No comments:

Post a Comment