Friday, August 8, 2014

Hmmmmm.....

Wednesday Aug. 6 - Thurs Aug 7

Wednesday was getting the house ready (laundry and vacuuming)  and packing day.  Took a bit of time to go for a quick bike ride and take a few pictures of a place I had been before but forgot the camera. The internet was still out so I headed in to town to do that and pick up a couple of things.  They were still partying and shopping in Sneek.....it was crazy..... Then went back to the house and packed....everything got in to the suitcase and backpack.
Sneek Week still going strong!

I had to try...

these yummy little pancakes!

Shopping stalls down the canal

Last look at Watersport!


About 10 days ago this sign went up at the end of the bridge that led to the train station...
  
 What it says by google translate is.......Crossing curdled for all traffic  from Thursday August 7 to August 10 from 2am Thurs through to Sunday 7am........

My thinking was that the bridge was being closed for repairs....

Thursday Aug 7...I should have left yesterday!

So I left the house by 10.....thinking if I did have to walk the extra nearly kilometer the long way to the station I would have plenty of time to catch this train and make the Leewarden to Amsterdam airport 11:00 train.   i started my walk..... great the bridge wasn't being worked on.....but when I got to the train crossing.....there was a big fence blocking my way.  So back I went and went the long way and got the the part where I crossed the rail lines a little further up......this is what I saw.......


NO TRAIN TRACKS!!!!!!     They are not working on the bridge they are doing maintenance and replacement of tracks between Sneek and Leewarden!!!!!  So in the end I had a nice bus ride from Sneek to Leewarden through the countryside....on roads I don't think I travelled on before!!!!

I finally made the 12:00 train and arrived at the hotel about 3:00 about an hour later than I thought I would.  Nice place.....a pool that I have made use of already, a free drink ticket (I'm drinking my glass of wine right now in the lobby as I am writing this!), free shuttles to the airport (to get the train to Amsterdam and to shop at the airport grocery store for breakfast items)and back to the hotel......I am here for 2 night and will be changing hotels on Saturday as I had already booked it and couldn't cancel without a penalty.  

No comments:

Post a Comment